Thursday, April 14, 2011

Don't say EEEWWWW yet....

I didn't even want to post the name of this recipe because I didn't want to stop people from reading it! I've already ranted about cabbage and now I am going to rant about spam. Spam is something I never ate until about a year and a half ago. At least not that I can recall (my mom says she put it in fried rice growing up but I don't remember that). My friend came over and made this spam and cabbage dish at my house. My first thought, DISGUSTING. Once I tried it, I was asking for the recipe and made it two nights later! Spam really gets a bad reputation and really tastes just like salty ham with a bit of a softer texture. Don't get me wrong, it's not all that healthy for you but it really does not taste as awful as the name implies, or the stories you've heard about fried spam sandwiches (YUCK). So, this recipe has two very widely disliked foods, spam and cabbage. It is however a very tasty, easy, cheap meal and I really suggest you try it before you knock it!

1 can LITE spam, chopped into small pieces
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1/2 bunch of asparagus cut into bite sized pieces
1 small(er) cabbage, chopped (you will use nearly all of the cabbage, it cooks down quite a bit)
soy sauce
olive oil
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
TOASTED SESAME SEEDS (these are important to the flavor)
cooked rice to serve the cabbage and spam over

Take chopped spam and toss it in a large, hot pan, cook until it's lightly browned and then set aside. In the same pan heat up about a tablespoon of oil and saute asparagus. When the asparagus is nearly done add all that cabbage and mushrooms. Drizzle with a touch of olive oil, about 4 TBSP of soy sauce, and the pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Toss these all together and cook until cabbage starts to wilt (don't overcook the cabbage). Add sesame seeds and spam. Toss together and serve over rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment